On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 9:35 PM, Gregory <nomoregra...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> For people who can't manage downloading a file, Andy provides a nice service
> of posting garmin maps on an SD card. http://shop.opencyclemap.org/ I don't
> know if he gets a tiny profit margin or not, but the prices are good just
> for blank SD cards!

Thanks. I make a small "profit" on each sale, after everyone else
takes their cut (paypal fees, shipping, and so on). But "profit" on
each sale of SD cards is eaten up entirely by the combination of
monthly site running costs, postal losses (grr) and other overheads.
I'll need a lot more sales before I can fund the rest of opencyclemap
with income from the shop, and I laugh when I think of what my hourly
rate works out as!

The situation is even worse for the OSM surveyors jackets, where the
margin is so small (under a pound) that a single lost item would take
me around another 20 sales just to make back. So far I've sold three,
and the first one of those (to a certain someone you might know)
actually worked out at a materials loss (of 17p), not counting monthly
overheads. But it's great promotion for OSM, helps raise money for
OSMF, and I think these things are important.

So if anyone is wondering, the little shop that I have is
time-consuming and barely breaks even, but it's good fun to run and
has many happy customers, and that's really why I do it.

Cheers,
Andy