On 7 June 2010 19:22, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:
> This could lead to an inflation of UUIDs on the object, and everyone who
> changes the object will have to decide which of them to keep, which to move,
> which to delete. For example, a restaurant would have one UUID for the
> building it is in, one UUID for the chef, one UUID for the pretty barmaid
> and so on - one UUID indeed for every single property someone wants to link
> to. Then if you, as a mapper, find that the restaurant has moved across town
> you'll have to find out what to do with these UUIDs (or, more likely, you'll
> just leave them alone).

By occupant I meant the business, not people... As for what to do
about the UUID, Peter has already pointed out solutions to the issue,
think of the UUIDs as a lookup table to speed up searching inside a
bbox every time you want to locate an object...

> Because if you link to a restaurant because it has a nice location, then
> changing the location would mean that the link is invalidated; if you link
> to the restaurant because of the chef, then not. You might also link to a
> restaurant because of the name (e.g. "Surprisingly, Hamburg has three
> restaurants named 'Chez something'...") - in which case the link would have
> to survive a move and a change in chefs but not a change in name.

I'm not talking about people, but the business occupying the building,
not the chef or the head waiter nor the .....

> Is German English really so different from Australian English ;-)

It would certainly seem so.