Hi again!
I hope someone with programming skills is reading this discussion :)

>> The problem is that if you go to a rule "one road, name displayed once",
>> you will have to search for the name of the road if the road is very
>> long.
> The actual rule is: treat it as a single OSM way and then decide how
often
> to repeat the name for longer ways.
Although Mapnik does not repeat names, it repeats ref for trunks:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=57.69949&lon=28.33726&zoom=16&layers=B000FTF
(scroll it north/south)

So I don't think repeating names would be a problem. The fact that Mapnik
doesn't do this looks like a bug: on long streets it's sometimes hard to
find a name.
Try this road (Estonia, for a change):
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=59.35981&lon=24.71644&zoom=17&layers=B000FTF
Cutting it just for the name to appear more often is mapping for rendeders,
obviously.

> In the St Petersburg example, the root of the problem is long street
> names. Maybe you need to render it yourself in a smaller/narrower
> font.
Well, streets sometimes are long enough to fit a name ten times. But
segments are small.
I don't consider this a font problem, because I'd better have one
good-looking
label than ten unreadable and redundant.

IZ