On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 11:24 AM, David Earl <da...@frankieandshadow.com>wrote:

I'm in the group who think that changeset comments are waste of time
because:
- you may have vandalism with nice comments (and good edits with crappy
comments)
- this is an habit comming from software development and software version
control. But mapping is not development, you don't develop or create
something new or implement a design, you just copy facts. Which means that
all information are easy to retrieve from the changeset itself. A software
could summarize the changeset more accurately than humans.
- we are a community. If I am working in a workspace with 100 colleagues, I
wouldn't have this group claiming "I do this, I do that" every 5 minutes if
no one else is checking his work. Watch carefully what people are doing,
talk to each other or shut up.
- the OSM gems are not the consumers, not the people watching their area but
real contributors, volunteers working on their spare time. We have regularly
professionals coming and asking to this community to work like professionals
with good comments and sourcing. I remember someone who said that OSM should
not become a project like wikipedia where newcomers are reluctant to
contribute when it becomes too restrictive.

Pieren