On 13/08/2010, at 8:17, "David Groom" <revi...@pacific-rim.net> wrote:

> Firstly,  as you say "sometime in the past".  So Yahoo gave permission when
> the project has a CC-BY-SA licence.  The contributor terms allow the
> switching of the licence to a non-CC-BY-SA licence.  So how can I possibly
> say that on the basis of an agreement made some time ago Yahoo now agree to
> contributors agreeing to the CT terms.

Yahoo disclaimed copyright in information that is derived from their aerial
photography. So, this "permission" is not limited to any particular license.

> Secondly, the real point I was making was that the CT terms state "... You
> represent and warrant that You have explicit permission from the rights
> holder to submit the Contents and grant the license below ...".  And I simply
> do not have explicit permission.  I don't have explicit permission because:
>
> a) The permission was not made to me, but to a more general body of people;
> so the permission I have is IMPLICIT.

That is not the correct meaning of "explicit". Explicit means "expressed", by
means of a statement, whether verbally or in writing. As opposed to implicit,
which means assumed in the absence of a statement.

If the rights holder makes a statement that permission is granted to "any
person", then it _is_ explicit permission for you, since you are a member of
the set "any person".

Explicit does not mean specific.