On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 7:44 AM, Lester Caine <les...@lsces.co.uk> wrote:

> The main reason that I am wanting mapping information is exactly because I
> am looking at genealogical data and this most definitely requires that start
> and end dates are accurately recorded. In many areas of the world historic
> map information may well not be available, but in the UK we have some
> reasonably accurate material going back 3 or 4 hundred years in places. More
> speculative material such as ancient Rome or Greece may be a little more
> controversial, but even that has some will mapped archaeology which it would
> also be nice to preserve.

I think it's really a question for the foundation:
- is OSM a database for the present only or not ?
- If not, is it the job of the API to filter data by dates or is it
something to be filtered by (all) OSM editors ?
Because most of the contributors don't want to see historical data (which
they don't care/cannot verify) mixed with the today's data in their editor.
And without going back to the ancient Rome, every day some OSM data become
obsolete (shops dissapearing, builings/roads destroyed, etc) and the average
contributor will just delete them and not just add a tag 'end_date'.

Pieren