On Tue, 2011-06-21 at 22:49 +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> Just like we have a tagging list for tagging-specific discussions.

So if someone decided to change every highway=track into
highway=unclassified or decided to mass-change aerodrome into airport,
would that be an issue for tagging (since it was a change of tag) or
would it be an issue for general talk (since it is a major change that
affects potentially every user of the system)?

> I'm relatively sure that 99.5% of readers of this talk list will never
> create a Garmin map with SOTM contours, and are quite uninterested in
> the finer details of what exactly a temporary file means in legal terms.

Im pretty sure that 99.5% of users would never be sued if they put an
OSM map onto their website without proper attribution too, that doesnt
mean that we shouldnt talk about it, or move the conversation to some
obscure list where even the name is enough to scare interested people
away.

I for one am interested to know the answer to these sorts of questions,
since it appears that this huge licence has been written but very little
consideration has been given to the finer details, until they get
pointed out 1000 times.  At which point someone either makes a
concession to the masses or an insult to those users who pointed out the
problems.

David