On 27/07/2011 03:04, Stephen Hope wrote:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:name#Notes

Um - no.  If a place wants to be written "St Albans", then that's the
name. Just because you pronounce it "Saint Albans" makes no
difference.

If they'd just shortened it for some signs to save space (like street,
road etc), then I'd agree with you.  But if they want the proper name
to be St Albans, not Saint Albans, we should respect that. If it is
how the name is officially spelt, then it's not an abbreviation, even
if it looks and sounds like one.

I personally prefer 'St' over 'Saint', but I wouldn't go so far as to assert what Stephen Hope does. After all, in alphabetical lists, names beginning 'St' have traditionally been sorted as if they were written 'Saint'.

--
Steve