On 27/07/2011 10:23, Thomas Davie wrote:
I don't think how they're sorted has anything to do with it, if every
time the place name is written, it's written "St Albans", even in
official documentation of what the town is called, it's name is "St
Albans", simple as that.

+1.

And the same applies to street names with S(ain)t too. For example St Albans Road, Cambridge. Interestingly, nominatim comes up with two such roads, one in Cambridge, UK and one in Boston, MA (well done Nominatim for getting St vs Saint right btw), and the one in Boston is spelled out in full on OSM. However, if you look at Streetview, you can see the street sign is "St Albans Rd" and Google maps has it as St Albans Rd (but then they shorten everything on the maps), but their Gazetteer - what you see when you are located in Streetview as the location you're viewing has "Saint" in full.

I think there is a subtle difference between abbreviations (like Rd and St - for Street that is) and contractions, like St for Saint and Dr for Doctor (not Drive). Generally abbreviations are just saving space, while contractions have become like words in their own right.

David