Simon Poole <si...@poole.ch> wrote on 31/08/2011 05:29:46 PM:

> I wouldn't over  exaggerate the issue, in many many countries it's
> actually quite difficult to find non-compliant objects and in the
> countries where there are widespread issues the mappers are in general
> aware of the situation and, for example in the case of Germany, actively

> working on the issues.

In some areas of the main cities of Australia you have the situation where
large areas have been fundamentally mapped by multiple editors who have
agreed the CTs, and there are a handful of people who have explicitly
rejected the CTs that have touched in some way just about every object the
area.  Sometimes the change is significant, but in many cases the changes
are what I would consider trivial - smoothing a curve, adding a default
speed limit tag (without a survey), nudging a node by a metre or so to
agree with one imagery set, or one survey.

There are situations where the issue is a deep one, where the areas or
objects may need remapping to be CT-compliant.  In other instances the
issues are shallow, and we should have hopefully have a way of reducing
the effort required in those areas, rather than requiring all new data.

The most valuable thing I can see would be that a person choosing to edit
an object could choose to edit a CT-compliant earlier object revision
rather  modify a non-CT-compliant later revision.  The current API forces
you to modify the latest revision or to remove the object entirely and
replace it with a new one.  So the current editor has a choice of
modifying a non-CT object, with the possibility that a later decision may
see that object removed, or removing and losing the history of the object.
 Neither of the current options are ideal.

If anyone in Germany (or anywhere else) has any ideas to share or is
working on the issues, please share.

Ian.
P.S. I know the people who have rejected the CTs have valid reasons, and
have made great contributions.  I'm merely looking at the state of
affairs, and not meaning to cast aspersions on anyone, so please don't
take it that way.