On 5 Feb 2012, at 12:51, David Earl wrote:

> While several of us in Cambridgeshire have tried this, we've had very limited
> success. It's hard to tell, but the problem seems to that the vast majority
> of the problem people aren't receiving the emails. We have no way to contact
> them.

I've been more successful here in Luxembourg by looking for the non-responders
elsewhere, and personalising the messages I send. We'll be fully ODbL-ready by
April.

Birds of a feather flock together, and OSM contributors tend to gather in
similar other places. I've gotten agreements after contacting non-responding
usernames on geocaching.com, gpsies, flickr, facebook and twitter, local geek
communities, or simply googling them, maybe with site:.lu or the name of the
place they've mapped. When the username looks like a name, I google possible
full names.

The message you send is important, and the one on the wiki is terrible: it
meanders in complicated legal details, demands a long answer, and fails to
explain what will happen without a response. Simon Poole has something much
better, which I've adapted; I try to send it in the user's native language, and
to personalise it. For example, if they are into geocaching, I mention that
keeping their data would be important for geocachers as well. If keeping their
data will have a strong local impact, I include a link to Frederik's WTFE map
or Simon's Cleanmap. The openstreetmap.lu link is simply a redirect to .org.

> Subject: The COUNTRY, REGION OR PLACE OpenStreetMap Community needs your
> agreement
>
> Hello NAME,
>
> You haven't been active in the OpenStreetMap project for quite a while.
>
> Because of that you may have missed that the last phase of the re-licensing
> has started. In other words, if you do not agree to the new contributor terms
> the community will have to remove and remap the data that you have
> contributed in WHERE.
>
> Even if you don't intend to actively participate in the future, it would
> still be important for all other users and mappers if you could license your
> data under the new license.
>
> Here is the official announcement:
> http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/License/We_Are_Changing_The_License
>
> You can accept the license in the profile of your OSM account or here:
> http://openstreetmap.lu/user/terms
>
> Thanks
>
> Guillaume, Luxembourg

With this and our remapping efforts, I believe we will achieve 100% ODbL
compliance before April.
http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/?view=wtfe&lon=5.5&lat=49.9&zoom=8 shows how we
are ahead of our neighbours. The majority of the mappers who remain on
http://odbl.poole.ch/luxembourg-20111208-20120201-poly.html are ungooglable,
haven't responded, have been remapped, aren't significant, or a selection of
the above.

Cheers,

Guillaume