Dominik Wilmsen wrote

> We would like to invite you to participate in a survey on motivations
> and obstacles to contribute
> geographic information

I think you are missing one of the most important motivations and reasons to
contribute to OpenStreetMap. I.e. that you are using a software or gadget
based on OpenStreetMap and you want to improve your usage of this software
and not because you care about OSM.

E.g. I came across OpenStreetMap because I was looking for an offline map
application for my old feature phone. GpsMid was the only app that I could
find that even came close to what I needed. It uses OpenStreetMap. The data
of London was decent but not perfect back then and so in order to improve my
own usage of GpsMid, I had to improve OpenStreetMap data. I have stuck with
the project ever since.

Similarly, the biggest spike ever of weekly first time mappers was in mid
September 2009, the week in which Monopoly City Streets was launched. I.e. a
lot of people who had never heard of OpenStreetMap wanted to play Monopoly
City Streets and found that they couldn't buy their own street in the game.
They were then told (even though probably not true as Monopoly City Streets
didn't incorporate diffs) that if they wanted to buy their street, they had
to add the road to OpenStreetMap first as that is what Monopoly City Streets
was based on. So a lot of people did. Many of them might not have really
cared for OpenStreetMap as such, just for their application, i.e. the game
they were playing.

Likewise I would guess with things like Sat-Nav apps such as Skobbler or
Mapfactor Free, or with FourSquare and Apple iPhoto users.

I think question 7 and possibly 15 (or the survey in general) doesn't really
cover this important situation well.

Kai