Hi,

On 03/14/2012 07:25 PM, Simone Cortesi wrote:
Good points Richard,

I don't exactly share Richard Weait's criticism. I dislike surveys that ask me all sorts of personal information before even getting to the point, but I don't smell any malice.

in addition to this: I've been part of this community for a while (7
years) and never heard about this people pretending to be from the
university of Münster, Germany.

This, sadly, is a general trend in the acamdemic community. Many of them seem to believe that it is unfitting to become too involved with the object of study; that you can either be a good community member or write study OSM but not both. This leads to a lot of papers being written by people who have never set foot in a forum or mailing list, often haven't even mapped or been to a pub meet.

If I were a professor I wouldn't allow a student to write anything about OSM without acquiring first-hand knowledge. And that would mean that by the time the guy starts doing his thesis, we (or at least the local OSM community) already know him.

There was an excellent presentation on this issue by Muki Haklay at SOTM-EU (http://sotm-eu.org/talk?41 and use the little icons next to the speaker photo to access slides or a video). He formulated a "code of engagement" for scientists dealing with OSM, which suggested the following rules:

1. Even if you are just going to use the data, do some mapping, and understand the process. Join a mapping party.

2. Read - Books, Wiki, Blog, and mailing lists.

3. Explore the data. (Then talk with someone in the community to make sure you've got it right.)

4. Open Access. Put outputs in Open Access repositories, publish in Open Access journals.

5. Open Knowledge. Publish and share the data that you've processed, and ideally the code.

6. Be a "critical friend": You have a responsibility to your academic field, and the OSM community can deal with criticism.

7. Teach.

The talk is worth reading/viewing. Even today, too little comes back to OSM from academia. There are notable exceptions (most of our hosting is actually paid for by universities) but very few people in academia actually honour Muki's "rules". Every year we have new OSM quality assessments but almost nobody shares their code so that it could be run continuously instead of being done in a "snapshot" fashion. Every year some university announces some cool new web site or mobile application but most of that is closed source.

Bye
Frederik