Possibly using some 3rd party source of elevation data by coordinate (like the Shuttle Radar Topography Mission data from http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/srtm/) and if the ele=0 tag is on a location where the average terrain around the coordinate is substantially different than zero would be a way to flag the "bad" vs the "good" data?

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ