I have no problem with fun. I've had fun with GPS receivers in the past:

http://www.scss.com.au/family/andrew/gps/rojone/

Here's a 1A car charger:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12-24v-DC-1000mA-High-Power-Universal-USB-Mini-in-Car-Charger-Power-Adapter-Plug-/390524978880?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item5aed1a46c0

I should point out that whatever power supply you find for the Pi, will be
just as useful for the Nexus. Both need minimum 5V 1A. Of course,
developing your own power supply could all be part of the fun.

For surveying I use an HTC Desire Z with a USB car charger (similar to the
above) connected to a 12V SLA in my bicycle pannier. As with any standalone
GPS (which includes the Nexus), accuracy is poor straight away, but greatly
improves after a couple of minutes. Don't use Google Maps as your
reference, as it allows non-GPS positioning. I use Vespucci (disclosure -
I'm part of the Vespucci team), which only allows "fine" (GPS) positioning.

Regards,
Andrew

--
Andrew