Hi Rob,

On 17 March 2013 16:26, Rob Nickerson <rob.j.nicker...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Going back a few years before GPS was widely available in pretty much
> everything bar the kitchen sink (please do post a link if you find a gps
> enabled sink :-) ) there was some discussion about making your own GPS
> receiver. If anyone is interested in taking this on as a nice weekend
> project, I have found that adafruit have a good guide for linking a GPS
> receiver to a Raspberry Pi. All components are reasonably priced and the
> guide covers everthing except running a RPi from a battery (google will help
> here).
>
> http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-ultimate-gps-on-the-raspberry-pi/introduction

I recently had a similar thought when my friend found this:
http://emerythacks.blogspot.fr/2013/01/u-blox-pci-5s-cheap-gps-module-for-your.html

It's an $8 ready to use GPS module.  You could build a receiver with a
battery, flash storage and some sort of display for under $15 with
this.  It won't be the best precision receiver but it also won't be
much worse than current best unaugmented GPS-only receivers (with
EGNOS/WAAS).

Cheers