Florian,

On 18 March 2013 14:32, Florian Lohoff <f...@zz.de> wrote:

> I'd rather go for getting your own OS running on a commercial GPS
> available e.g. the Garmins .... getting you DIY GPS receiver running
> is probably not that hard - but for what purpose? It'll neither be better
> on battery life, less waterproof, less ruggedized etc.

Building your own Etrex is probably a waste of time from an OSM
perspective but would still be fun for some of us especially if the
accuracy was really good. This sort of module would also be great for
someone to build a quadcopter to get aerial images where none exist or
for other location based projects that big companies are not
interested in.

Kevin