On 06/02/2014 22:51, François Lacombe wrote:
Hi folks,

I feel a bit disappointed with the power=portal tag, pretty widely used
in Germany for instance.

It seems to document start points of a power line in power substations.
Have a look :
http://www.power-technology.com/contractor_images/pauwels/4_Compact-substation.jpg

There are only 18 of them in France, I thought it would be better to
don't use it. I don't even know if it's the right English term.
Nevertheless the idea of considering portals instead of standard towers
in substations sounds good.

According to http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:power%3Dtower such portal should be tagged power=tower + design=portal (if it indeed is a portal design with two or more legs). Further, if it is the termination point of a power line it should also be tagged tower:type=termination. I typically dont't tag internal portals in substations not connecting to an outgoing power line in order to avoid unnecessary cluttering.

Many substations are moved from sub_station to substation, it's a great
occasion to check this out too.

It would be really nice to have substations (without underscore) rendered in standard Mapnik. However, the style sheet maintainers seem to be reluctant to implement that. At least JOSM now support the new tag.

Ole