On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 9:15 PM, Serge Wroclawski <emac...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We see this already. I've spoken to companies and orgs who have said
> specifically that they would not contribute to OSM if it was not
> Share-Alike. No one wants to be competing against themselves in the
> future.

This is actually a pretty good argument for share-alike.By having
share-alike, a company that pours time, money, and effort into improving
the database will not inadvertently help a competitor that would not give
anything back.

Sure, a CC-BY or even CC0/PD license is "freer" than a share-alike license,
but only for a data user in isolation (they don't have any onerous
obligations and that's "freer").

But, share-alike ensures that the freedom is sustainable for *everybody* in
perpetuity and not just single users.