Looking at what they are doing I'd say the information being dug out will
be of value to the OSM community and help us understand a little more about
the people who add value to the maps.  It might even help us on the
retention rate and bring the experience of the average mapper up a little.
It's also being done fairly professionally and running something like this
properly costs money, at least its not OSM money.

In an ideal world the way to get a proper random sample would be to select
OSM mappers randomly then message them.  Hopefully you'd get better than
90% response rate to keep it statistically meaningful.

Reality is you might be lucky to obtain a 2% response.  So the next best
thing is OSM-talk and hopefully he'll get the 1,000 responses which he
needs to make it statistically meaningful.  He didn't get that many
have that many average mappers here, the national OSM mailing lists have
more so it makes sense to make the request to a larger audience.

OSM is difficult in that it crosses so many cultural boundaries but in this
case I think the cross posting was reasonable to obtain the desired number
of respondents.

How would you suggest he obtained a large enough random sample?

Thanks

Cheerio John