On 03/01/15 17:46, François Lacombe wrote:

    What about the maps I produce for my client? You're not likely to
    know about it as it is a private project. If you make a mechanical
    edit that breaks my render, should I send the bill for the changes
    to you rather than ask my client to pay? (This is not hypothetical
    I really do have a render using pipelines. I'm also using pipeline
    data to calculate approximations of distribution and aggregation).

The map your produce for private projects should be based on a static export of OSM. It will prevent any kind of vandalism to have impact on your valuable services.

Thanks for telling me how to run my process. Given that the data used in the project are being edited and are evolving and includes data other than the pipeline data that are being edited, a static snapshot won't cut it.

I include some mechanical edits as vandalism, other than that, vandalism has not caused me any problems at all.

As data producer, may I ask you how can I refine any tagging scheme if so called private projects have priority on information improvement and general interest ?

If you must adjust tagging schemes that are in use, then you must devise a way to migrate to the new scheme in stages that doesn't break the existing processes that people use the data for. The proposer of the change is, IMO, fully responsible for this and if there is not a proper migration plan then the change should be quickly rejected. Simply replacing a tag with another tag via mechanical edit at an arbitrary point in time just isn't good enough to me.

--
Cheers, Chris
user: chillly