> I include some mechanical edits as vandalism, other than that, vandalism
> has not caused me any problems at all.

I was too.
And I don't understand why a static snapshot can't help you regarding
changes that don't suit your needs.

> If you must adjust tagging schemes that are in use, then you must devise a
> way to migrate to the new scheme in stages that doesn't break the existing
> processes that people use the data for. The proposer of the change is, IMO,
> fully responsible for this and if there is not a proper migration plan then
> the change should be quickly rejected. Simply replacing a tag with another
> tag via mechanical edit at an arbitrary point in time just isn't good
> enough to me.

I'm sorry, but I'm not very fond of bureaucracy.
My unpaid contribution is entirely done in free time (like many MANY people
here) and we won't spend it on personal interests considerations.

As Rainer rightly said, you're using free data without any guarantee.

My point isn't to not be user-friendly, but if I setup a "smooth" migration
process for YOU, it won't necessarily suit your neighbour's processes.
Why each data consumer can't adapt themselves and make an effort ?
Mechanical edits aren't bad if they are prepared and users informed about
it. Then a precise date can be discussed and everyone start using tags at
the same tags without letting the old ones in the DB for years.

Rainer, others and myself should be focused on consistency, versatility of
tags, doing things (like tag migration) once.

That's why OSM need a serious workflow refinement regarding tagging
reference. This new one should include mechanical edits and communication
about them toward data consumers.

*François Lacombe*

fl dot infosreseaux At gmail dot com
www.infos-reseaux.com