On 09/01/15 13:12, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Just to be clear, the core of my idea was some kind of subscription
> mechanism where you, as a data user, could say: "I am processing these
> tags in my application and I wish to be notified of important changes".
>
> I wasn't even thinking about the input side of that, just describing the
> output side.

I think that the two are somewhat related ...

One needs a table of data from which to select what one wants to
subscribe to. The service that supplied changes which affected a defined
area was nice but seems to have stopped? Not looked to see why, but I
used to get messages about changesets which affected my local area.

If one has a database of tags which one can subscribe to and receive
messages about updates to that is just another way of filtering update
messages. The same database can be used to flag values entered which do
not match the 'subscribed' list of accepted entries, and perhaps
indicate where an update to one tag also needs secondary tags.

One subscribes to a tag metadata mechanism which provides updates at one
of two levels ... the metadata for the tag has changed, or data related
to a particular tag has changed.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL