Alex,
Our friends on the other side of the pond like to point out that we have
many poorly and unmapped areas. I'm sure we all agree that their assessment
is correct. Solving this problem should be one of our highest priorities.
Two solutions come to mind, increase the number of imports and growing the
community of mappers. While I feel that imports have their place, i.e.
addresses and building outlines, my preferred solution is to increase the
number of mappers. It would be great to see a session to brainstorm how to
set target growth rates and then how to achieve them.

My sense is that having the US Chapter Board involved is needed to help
overcome some obstacles, ie. funding, software tools, communications, etc.

I'd be happy to create a proposal for such a session, but it would need a
facilitator to help us work with a large group of interested parties. (I
haven't facilitated a large group in many years.) My other obstacle is I'm
currently visiting Costa Rica and I'm often in places with limited internet
access which makes it hard to communicate.

I'd like to get some feedback what others think. Do we have a problem of
being under and poorly mapped lands? Is it worthwhile to hold a session to
build a roadmap to fix it? If so how would you do it?

Clifford

On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 8:52 PM, Alex Barth <a...@mapbox.com> wrote:

> Casting the net a little wider:
>
> What do you think are the big topics and challenges for OpenStreetMap as
> we're about to go into the second decade? What does this mean for State of
> the Map?
>

> On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 8:40 AM, Martijn van Exel <m...@rtijn.org> wrote:
>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I put together a 3 minute survey about the upcoming State of the Map US
>> conference. The main thing I would like to know more about is the types of
>> talks you would be interested in, or even specifically which people or
>> organizations you would want to see a talk from. You can find the survey
>> here: http://goo.gl/forms/YZpm2aPk2O
>>
>> If you don't want to fill out the survey, you can also send your opinion
>> my way in an email. In any case, thanks in advance for taking the time.
>>
>> Remember, the Call for Papers will be open for another 3 weeks:
>> http://stateofthemap.us/talk/
>>
>> Thanks again,
>> --
>> Martijn van Exel