On 26/08/2015 21:54, Andrew Hain wrote:
Dave F. <davefox <at> madasafish.com> writes:

Hi

Bearing in mind the wiki is used more often by new OSM
contributors &
therefore should be a clear & concise as possible, I'm curious why
this
icon is so
prevalent:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/images/thumb/5/5f/Osm_element_tag.sv
g/200px-Osm_element_tag.svg.png
There's no description of what it means or relates to. It refers
purely
to 'behind the scenes' business. New users are interested in that.
Even
if it were described, it would still be irrelevant as *all* tags
are
based on a key=value format.
The graphic is used when there isn’t a specific image to put in a
tag value infobox, with a k= graphic for key descriptions. A “No
image yet” graphic used to be used. The message is buried within the
{{description}} template. Although there are some pages that could
have pictures but don’t it doesn’t always make sense to have one.

If there's not a specific image, can't it just be ignored & start with 'description' or whatever?
The k=v icons are irrelevant to people who edit the map.

In a similar vein I notice a few wiki pages concerning tagging
have XML
OSM database code. Completely unnecessary & again, might put off
users
who believe you have to have programming experience to contribute.
Where?

Of the top of my head: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:multipolygon The information it's trying to convey could be written in a much clearer, more understandable layout.

A while back I noticed a few others, but didn't keep a record. They may have been upgraded since.

Cheers
Dave F.

---