Hi,
1. Did anyone yet bring into this discussion the Japanese adresse system ?
According to Wikipedia: "Street names are seldom used in postal addresses
(except in Kyoto and some Hokkaidō cities such as Sapporo), and most Japanese
streets do not have names.Banchi blocks often have an irregular shape, as
banchi numbers were assigned by order of registration in the older system,
meaning that especially in older areas of the city they will not run in a
linear order. It is for this reason that when giving directions to a location,
most people will offer cross streets, visual landmarks andsubway stations, such
as "at Chūō-dori and Matsuya-dori across the street from Matsuya and Ginza
station" for a store in Tokyo. In fact, many businesses have maps on their
literature and business cards. In addition, signs attached to utility poles
often specify the city district name and block number, and detailed block maps
of the immediate area are sometimes posted near bus stops and train station
exits.In addition to the address itself, all locations in Japan have a postal
code. After the reform of 1998, this begins with a three-digit number, a
hyphen, and a four-digit number, for example 123-4567. A postal mark, 〒, may
precede the code to indicate that the number following is a postal code."

2. I also feel a need to reiterate that in Iceland there are formal postal
addresses that work. The thing in the story that started this thread was the
letter was sent from a guy/gal who did not bother to try write down the address
(or lost it or only though of writing once they got home ).  And being a not
very populous society, and especially a sparsely built area of Iceland, drawing
a simple map and describing the people worked "flawlessly" :-)   A fun story
and heartening, but if many would do the same and not research a bit before
sending letters, if would not be fun any more ... especially if sending to
someone more "anonymos"   ;-)
 --  Regards / Kveðja / Hilsen Morten Lange, Reykjavík