> If we are going to have the consistency you want, the way would be to
> downgrade the trunk sections to primary, because after all it's US 2,
> not "Trunk 2".  In the UK, it would be the A2, and unquestionably
> primary.

yes, that's what I want.

Perhaps you should make your own render, and
> submit change proposals to the standard style.  A possibility might be
> coloring roads by ref and hence legal designation, not highway tag, and
> then to draw their width/weight based on physical characteristics.  If
> that's useful, and I think it might be, maybe people will adopt it.

I already got this idea, but I won't rely on the ref and the legal
designation (it may be well done in the UK and in the US, it is not the
case in France), I need a local user-defined value for the importance of an
road : the key "highway" as used in Japan or UK, with trunk as
super-primary, or a new key "importance" which almost duplicates the
highway value (trunk or super_primary, primary, secondary, tertiary,
quaternary, local)
Maybe I should make a test map and come back later :)

djakk