On 8/29/2017 12:50 PM, Jean-Marc Liotier wrote:
I fail to imagine a beach that is not walkable.

In France, yes. And I understand by now why. I am currently reading Victor Hugo's "Les Misérables", and he writes in this novel that one of the reasons of the French Revolution of 1789 was that 96% people could not walk where they wanted, as the land belonged to the nobility (2%) and to the clergy (another 2%).

In other parts there are still beaches which could belong to a company, an organization, to a private person, and there is no access there due to a fence or a barrier which is hardly visible form a satellite. And an access status can change with time, at one time there is a public access, then there is no access, then it changes again.

But in any case, there are cities where seaside beaches are not walkable even inside city limits.

Best regards,

Oleksiy