Hi John Whelan,

As implied in the forum thread, not wanting to destroy user data is
exactly why I'm building a relatively complex script. The naive
approach is to destroy all-bus stops are re-import, everytime a GTFS
update is released. But I don't want that.

Instead of doing that, the script preserves all user-submitted data
such as shelter, wheelchair, and GPS coordinate fixes and provides
incremental updates rather than the destruction of all bus stops per
import. The incremental updates do not destroy user changes. In order
to achieve that, the older and the newer GTFS database need to be
compared per update.

Yesterday I didn't have the database which was used in the old 2012
import, so I couldn't locally test-run my script. which is what lead to
my original question in this thread. But now I managed to reverse-build
the old GTFS database from version 3 of the bus stops in Israel by
downloading the bus stops through the relevant changesets.

Here's some of the discussion:

>Here's a merging idea.
>
>Problem: Dealing with conflicts between mapper
edits and gtfs data.
>Solution: "The most recent version is the correct
version" philosophy.

>- The first gtfs update would update everything.
Conflicts are
>  resolved by prioritizing the gtfs file's version. This
is a
>  "necessary evil" but is >only needed once.  (edit: I might be

able to mitigate this by tracing bus stop OSM history).
>- Some time
passes, and users update some of the bus stops.
>- The ministry of
transportation updates some bus stops in
>  its database and publishes a
new gtfs file.
>- The next gtfs update would inspect the difference
between
>  the new gtfs file and the older gtfs file. Only bus stops

that have had their data (in >the gtfs file) changed since the
>  last
file are updated. So, conflicts are resolved by prioritizing
>  the gtfs
file version, but only for the bus stops that were changed
>  by the
ministry since the last update. The rest of the bus stops
>  are left
intact.

(source: https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=16738&p=3)

Also, we know the data can be used in OSM.

https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=244096#p244096