If there is a conflict regarding position or tags, they should be resolved
by a human mapper. If I were to apply the newer is better approach, we
would constantly be reverting back to the positions the operators think
their stops are at.

It's important to respect the mappers work, because without mappers OSM
quickly dies off.

It might be complex to put such a solution in place, but it should be
obvious that if data flows in 2 directions, too much simplification doesn't
work.

Jo