Deleting data on OpenStreetMap and replacing it by imported data is
obviously never the acceptable approach.

What I don't understand is why you don't create something that compares the
latest version of all the bus stops in OSM with the latest version of the
GTFS data from upstream.

Why compare with an inbetween version?

What I think is needed is a (web) service that stands between the operator
data, be it GTFS or DB dumps and OpenStreetMap where comparison is made and
which can be used by mappers to either improve OSM, or to send feedback to
the operators that there are issues with the data they provide. Or where
the operators can request flagged stops in bulk.

The same goes for the lines (route_master) and the various itineraries
(route relations).

Polyglot