A "traffic" tag sounds like a good idea, but I'd have two suggestions:
1) Can we find a better name?
2) Estimates are better than words. I can imagine what 5000 cars per day
look like, but what is considered heavy traffic in (for example) Brazil?

I'm all for letting highway tag only worry about high-level stuff (footway,
cycleway, road, path...)  and have a separate class tag for official
classification where needed.

I've created this page: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway_classes
Feel free to add your region!

PS: +1 to Michael's point about not changing classifications in countries
with an official system.