On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 1:23 PM, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 08/13/2018 06:46 PM, Daniel Koć wrote:
>>> I also don't see a reason to add the OLC codes in tags in the
>>> database, even if marked on a building.
>
>> Since buildings are not guaranteed to fit into OLC rectangles and they
>> not 1:1 compatible, this usage makes sense for me.
>
> Which code would you then add to a building? Who would be given the
> power to decide (maybe of the several possible codes, one is nicer or
> contains the initials of the owner)? How would it be verifiable which
> code a building has?
>
> Bye
> Frederik

This is all exactly right. I can see a building having any one of
about 4 OLC 10 digit "addresses" on average depending on which imagery
the building was last aligned to.

That is just reality of how we are forever refining our representation
of the real world in a digital format. It has imprecision and this is
the scale where it becomes really obvious, 13m or less.

I am suggesting as a next step, we get a TMS layer that represents
this OLC grid and easily displays the 4, 6, 8, or 10 digit long OLC
for the grind square depending on scale.

Then about 5 of our tools "support" it already  because they support TMS layers.

I deal with these things at large scale and at the individual door
level, we all do who are concerned about this issue, so some tools to
help us visualize at scale and quantity these OLC codes will help a
lot. Plus the easy to solve case of "looking up" an OLC code is
already being added by folks like OSMAnd and OSM if they merge in the
existing pull request. I put in issues with two tools that I would
like to see support them, the HOT Tasking Manager and Fieldpapers.
Having OLC grid layer available in those tools would be very helpful,
especially Fieldpapers. A TMS end point would close the one for the
Tasking Manager.

Searching in OAM by OLC might be nice too, very easy to specify the
place and scale with one code.

As I said below, lets get these OLC codes that are in OSM now out, if
they are even still in there.  Vao, myself and whoever else is
interested in being able to use OLC to some degree in the eco system
of the OSM software community tools will figure out what makes sense
and what people want to do and we will go forward from there :)

I think TMS layer, whomever, however, or plug in for josm as polyglot
said, are all great and would really help the folks who want to work
more with OLC to see what, if any use cases it solves.

Cheers
Blake