On 23/10/18 03:24, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
22. Oct 2018 16:59 by colin.sm...@xs4all.nl <mailto:colin.sm...@xs4all.nl>:

    On 2018-10-22 16:34, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:

        I strongly disagree, we map reality.

    There is no one true reality, only perceptions.

There is both a true reality and our biased interpretation of it. But it many

cases it is possible to select criteria, rules, categorizations where bias is small and

our interpretation align.

But anyway that is a philosophical claim and that discussion is unlikely to lead anything useful.

    Which reality takes precedence in your mind, may not be the same
    for everyone. Reality is subjective.

    What is the test to apply to decide whether a point is included in
    country A or country B?

In case of Russian/Ukrainian border, as defined by on the ground line of control

"is area controlled by Russian army or Ukrainian army" works quite well, better than

"is this area claimed by Russia" or "is this area claimed by Ukraine"

    In the case of disputed borders, there are at least two realities
    (as perceived by the parties to the dispute) and possibly a third
    reality as perceived by a number of locals

There is one reality and multiple interpretations of it. It is preferable to map things so that

interpretations are not different between mappers.

Some interesting reading here on the 'reality' of a 'country'..
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-03/countries-changing-what-it-means-to-be-a-nation-state/10435028

In particular the Mohawk Nation at Akwesasne is of interest - spans 2 'countries' ... I think it is like the reindeer headers of Finland/Russia. Think you'll find the perceptions change depending on the experience of the individual and possibly their cultural links.