On 26/07/2019 11:54, Mike N wrote:
On 7/26/2019 4:34 AM, Christoph Hormann wrote:
The corporate appropriation of OpenStreetMap

I'm not a corporate wonk, but I'll note that in my region, "Amazon Logistics" is effectively solving the Last Mile Mapping problem: how to include driveways into routing.

  [ I'm well aware that the Amazon mappers are not perfect and have made newbie errors in other regions ]

That's an excellent comparison to make.  One key difference is that Amazon's mappers have been very reactive when it was made clear to them that the way that they were mapping things with (in the UK) incorrect access tags, and have since tried to ensure that they're doing it right (see e.g. https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/jguthula/diary/390322 ).  There will still be issues - Amazon's mappers are working with GPS traces and imagery, but no local knowledge, so they will get things wrong, but if everyone works together the combination of local mappers' local knowledge and Amazon's mappers' willingness to spend hours adding otherwise boring service roads and farm tracks should be to everyone's benefit.

This is in stark contrast to Facebook's approach.  Again and again they've been told what their licence of OSM data requires them to do, and again and again they have not done it.  Again and again they were told that their mapping was garbage, and while they have improved the data quality of later additions (in Thailand) they have done nothing to clean up the existing mess - it was left for the community and/or the DWG to tidy up.

Unless you've been living under a rock, you'll be aware of Facebook's other corporate actions over the last year or so and the reputational damage that it has caused them (see e.g. https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2019/07/ftc-imposes-5-billion-penalty-sweeping-new-privacy-restrictions ).  That doesn't mean that individual people working for Facebook can't be nice people and some of the tools they create can't be useful, but it does mean that OSM needs to be careful that it's reputation isn't tarnished by being associated with a corporate pariah* such as Facebook.

A statement from the board (or the LWG, if the LWG is looking at it rather than the board) about the issues raised here by Nuno over the last few months would be a start - either "we believe that Facebook's OSM data usage is in compliance with the licence" or "we believe it isn't and are trying to change it".  The OSMF has made a decision to have Facebook as one of 6 gold corporate members listed at https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Corporate_Members , so without any clarification an outside observer would think that the OSMF fully supports Facebook both in terms of data use and their "contributions" in e.g. Egypt and Thailand, and approves of the use of OSM's brand to bolster Facebook's excremental reputation.

Best Regards,

Andy

(writing, as is usual on this list, in an entirely personal capacity)

* far from the only example, of course, and even some organisations set up "purely to do good" have struggled with reputational management recently - see e.g. https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2019/jun/11/oxfam-abuse-claims-haiti-charity-commission-report .