Excellent, Christoph.  I'll say that I have been (for decades, sometimes at a
higher-level) in software (and data) quality assurance (QA) in major software
companies (Apple, Adobe), some of whom make privacy and ethics important
components of their way of doing business.  (Obviously, some companies are
better, some are worse).  QA (departments) are often and precisely the sort of
"corporate domain" where these ethical and social questions arise (and are
often dealt with, however successfully).  I offer this knowledge in hopes it
might steer you to both believe and further your quest that companies do care
about these things, and that this has been "moderned up" with the application
of machine learning / AI to big data (like OSM).  If not QA, there should be
people at the C-level who know of what we speak here and can steer you in the
right direction:  companies WANT to be known as good citizens who do the right
things.

Yes, there are certainly profit-motivated behaviors and forces at work here
(quite strongly, especially in the multibillion-$ major players of Big Tech),
yet thankfully there are also humans at the helm.  Humans who know that their
long-term success depends on playing fair, nice, transparently (to some extent,
though gotta keep the edge sharp by keeping the "secret sauce" proprietary).
Humans who are accountable.  Seek out these people, these departments, these
ethical foundations, as if they exist, companies will proudly share them with
you and can then be held accountable for doing so.  I think we're on the right
track by doing this.

I don't know that there are any "white papers" that would be an existence proof
of what I say, but I'm sure if we "pound the table for answers," we'll get at
least something.  It might be weak sauce, it might have a heavy public
relations spin on it (initially) but we've got to get the ball rolling by
bringing such conversations out into the open.  Thank you for your suggestions
to facilitate this.

SteveA