That is one of the main reasons I read biographies (where available)
of the folks I listen to alot.  I think that for alot of my favorites,
the main "muse" is one of the human emotions that is maginified by
environmental issues growing up.  Look at Monroe and his feelings of
loneliness.  To me, it seems that he spent his entire life holding on
to the memories of that old home place and a time when he still had
someone whose love he did not have to question.  When did he last feel
secure - as a young boy?  I think alot of folks can identify with
those songs because of the emotion/feeling that is driving them.

I think our culture today is just way too different from a hundred
years ago and later.  Our values and expectations are way out of line
with those of our parents in many ways.  I would have thought myself
abused if I'd been required to miss school and chop cotton all day
(like my mother was) or required to get up early and feed the cows,
pigs and chickens before school (like my dad was).

Kids don't pick up a instrument and write a song when someone makes
them feel bad; they take a gun to school and take care of it.