Mike H, if you ever get a chance to catch "The secret lives of
banjos," you should. It's a show put together by Jody Stecher and Bill
Evans and includes a great story about Arctic explorations, banjos and
penguins ... It also shows the broad reach of the instrument. They use
something Iike 27 banjos in their show and demonstrate convincingly
that the banjo has a wild and well-traveled history.

Meanwhile, for my $.02, I think we can play outside our immediate
zones, just as we listen outside those zones, given sufficient will
and passion/obsession. It's a matter of relating to the underlying
emotion. Music really is generated from just a few main themes --
love, death, god, events, work  -- mixed and matched as appropriate,
and we can relate to these themes, even if the specifics (collard
greens) are foreign. Granted there is music that is outside my ken
(Chinese opera, for example), but I suspect that if I wanted to and
had a spare lifetime to mess around with it, I could tackle anything
that moved me. But being moved by it is the key. Just look at some of
our Japanese old-time musician friends who play great, with scrupulous
regard for the channels the music has come through. Of course, the
farther you are from the source, the harder it is to pick up the
nuances, rhythmic and otherwise, but I don't buy the you-gotta-have-
been-born-there notion, nor do I think the music died with some past
generation. Many young people are playing it well, with great
attention to detail and history, and not-so-young people like me are
still working at playing it, and that's a good thing, I think. But
then I've spent much of my life in zones where the frost-free date
skated to the end of June (or where other climatic realities dominate)
so I'm hardly any sort of argument for regional authenticity. best,
val