I'm a Baptist, so everyone just let me know if they need any ideas for
self-shaming.

________________________________
From: Dasspunk <dassp...@gmail.com>
To: Taterbugmando <taterbugmando@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Tue, November 17, 2009 12:21:34 PM
Subject: Re: Thinking more outside of a Jam

The capo subject seems to rear it's head a couple times a year and I'm
curious as to the reason.

If there's a need for one on a tune, definitely use one. I don't see
that as being any different than using alternate tunings. A tool is a
tool. But if folks are using one to avoid learning to play in odd keys
or the like, they are doing their playing a disservice.

Nobody that can play well would think twice about using a capo for
certain things and they would giggle at any crap thrown their way for
doing so. This makes me think the capo question pops up because folks
are looking for permission to use one so they can avoid playing in Bb,
etc.

If you struggle in Bb or the like (and everyone does or has), practice
until you don't. Shame is an excellent motivator; use it to your
advantage. Your playing will thank you.