On Sat, 9 Sep 2000 14:19:50 +0100, John Sullivan wrote:

>> IOW's, if a message is from Stefan Tanurkov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.
>> Stefan Tanurkov will be displayed in the message list and this is all
>> that you'll be able to use in the advanced filtering. It seems to
>> filter the message list and not the messages. This is why it's so
>> *quick*.

JS> There's no reason why the full sender/recipient information
JS> shouldn't be available to searches, with no noticeable loss in
JS> speed. (We're talking about header information, not the mesage body
JS> which I agree could slow it down considerably.)

You mentioned that it fails to work. I'm clearing this up by indicating
that it *does* work once you know what it really does. How it is
implemented to work is a different matter. I personally have no problem
with how it works at present, since the formal search applet is pretty
much there for you to use as well and it supports full header and
whatever searching that you like. It will display the results in a
message list fashion etc.

It is in fact consistent behaviour if you ask me. Among the *message
list* display options is an advanced display filtering option which
intuitively implies that it's filtering strings in the message list
display. I personally didn't expect it to work otherwise. I guess the
developers and I are on the same wavelength. <shrug>

JS> And this also fails to address the fact that a single message
JS> remains visible, that in no way at all satisfies the filter
JS> criteria!

Well, I did say that I considered that to be a bug. :-) See:

--
A. Curtis Martin..
Moderator TBUDL/TBBETA  |  PGP Key ID: 0xEE079937