On Sat, 9 Sep 2000 07:44:36 -0700, Ming-Li wrote:

ML> To achieve this, the information has been pulled from the headers of
ML> individual messages to form a virtual database (table). Information
ML> not available in this virtual database (e.g., message id) can't be
ML> used in a display filter. Since only the "real name" part of the
ML> sender is displayed in the message list (and exists in the virtual
ML> database), it's not possible to filter messages based on the email
ML> address part. Trying to go through the headers of all messages would
ML> indeed slow down the process. More importantly, trying to do that
ML> would make the display filter function identical to the Search tool,
ML> which doesn't make sense.

Agreed.

ML> You may, however, suggest RIT to include the email address part in
ML> the message list virtual database, so it can be used in display
ML> filters.

Why? Hit F7 and the search tool is there in front of you. It opens with
the appropriate folder already selected for the search. Just tick sender
and type in the string and you're done. Hit Esc just like with the main
window to get rid of the display.

ML> Of course, others may want to suggest other header fields to be
ML> included as well. It would ultimately be up to RIT to decide what to
ML> include and what to leave out, trying to strike the best balance
ML> between memory usage, speed, convenience, and flexibility. I'm glad
ML> it's not my job. :)

I really don't see the point in mirroring a function that's already
there. If it was more convenient I'd agree but it really isn't. The
advanced filtering is placed among the message list display choices for
a reason. Because it only searches for strings in the message list. The
'quick search' does this as well.

>> And this also fails to address the fact that a single message remains
>> visible, that in no way at all satisfies the filter criteria!

ML> I think Curtis has made it clear that (he thinks, and I agree) it's
ML> a bug.

Yup! ;-)

--
A. Curtis Martin..
Moderator TBUDL/TBBETA  |  PGP Key ID: 0xEE079937