Hello Ming-Li,

Friday, September 15, 2000, you wrote to me:

>> So in viewer when you are changing codepage TB! just puts filter
>> to characters which will translate E0 to C0 and I will see "A"
>> letter.

ML> I'm not sure I understand this. Do you mean if I receive a message
ML> written in windows-1251, and I see a letter "A" (C0x in
ML> windows-1251), then when I change the encoding ("View | Character
ML> set") to KOI8-R, TB would translate C0x to E0x automatically and
ML> still show "A" to me?

No. It will translate E0x ("A" in KOI8-R) to A0x ("A" in windows-1251)
so I will see the right character.

The difference from translating to windows-1250 encoding is that with
1250 it is doing almost nothing except setting the proper font but
with KOI8-R it is also putting the filter to text.

>> But if you will take text in windows-1251, put the filter
>> on it and show it in the editor window you will see garbage. It
>> doesn't matter what Russian codepage I will choose after it
>> because it will filter the text before the sending but not change
>> it on the screen.

ML> I don't understand this, either. I've just tried again. I went to
ML> your diary page, used the "Send Page by email" command in IE, and
ML> changed the message encoding in TB's editing window to "Cyrillic
ML> (windows-1251)". I then did it again, but this time I changed it to
ML> "Cyrillic (KOI8-R)". Both showed the same text to me, and their
ML> appeared to be the same as what I saw in IE.

This is the problem here. Sure they look the same with KOI8 and 1251
but they look differently from the page in IE because TB! here put the
filter BEFORE show me the text in the window and this text is already
in wrong charset. Sure I can send it and then choose one of the
Russian charsets for broken messages and read it but it is a bug.
Probably not TB! bug though.

ML>>> Can't confirm this either.

>> Hm... This is strange. For example on my pages I see parts of
>> JavaScript text which I suppose not to see. On other pages I see
>> only part of text but probably it is the same script reason so TB!
>> cannot understand where is the end of the text.

ML> Yes, I can see those JavaScript text as well. I think it's a bug
ML> though I've no idea who should take it out (IE or TB), since I've
ML> never used MAPI before. Is it that in MAPI a browser just dump the
ML> source code on the email client and it's up to the latter to filter
ML> out the scripts and html codes?

I have no idea.

ML> Nonetheless, I can see all the text, not just part of it, and I can
ML> type, too.

On my page it shows just additional garbage. On some other pages it
doesn't show the whole text. I can type too of course. I meant that if
I will type something in Russian part of the message will be in normal
encoding and part in broken so it will be hard to read this message.

ML> If you like, I can send the two test messages (your diary page, one
ML> in windows-1251, the other in KOI8-R) to you and you can see if
ML> they're displayed properly.

OK

Peter Gannushkin
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]