Hello Jernej,

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 18:36:05 +0100 GMT (23/Dec/09, 0:36 AM +0700 GMT),
Jernej Simončič wrote:

>>> No. If the font doesn't have an Unicode table, it's assumed to be
>>> CP1252
>> Why? I'm sure you can point me to something.

JS> Historical reasons (read: fonts from the Windows 3.x era).

JS>>> (I previously wrote ASCII, which was wrong).
>> Changing your mind?

JS> No, I just slipped. ASCII is a subset of CP1252 (it doesn't define
JS> characters with indexes 128-255, which CP1252 does).

I see.

>> I agree with the font, just not with the charset assumption.

JS> Back in the Windows 3.x days, the fonts didn't define any charset, so
JS> the displayed character was defined by font name and it's index.
JS> [...]

Thaks for the background of the Wingdings font. I was always wondering
what it was good for.

-- 

Cheers,
Thomas.

http://thomas.fernandez.hat-gar-keine-homepage.de/

Message reply created with The Bat! 4.2.13.8 ALPHA
under Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 3


________________________________________________________
 Current beta is 4.2.13.8 | 'Using TBBETA' information:
http://www.silverstones.com/thebat/TBUDLInfo.html

Reply via email to