MaXxX wrote:

> I've recently been conversing with a friend of mine, who uses MS
> Outlook. All of his messages have an attachment called "winmail.dat",
> but, knowing that Outlook might be attaching weird files for its own
> evil reasons, I ignored it.

<snip>

> So, my question: is it The Bat that fails to recognize an accepted
> standard for sending attachments, or (more likely, I know) does
> Outlook send weird things? And even if it does, how the heck can I pry
> the darned thing open??

As you suspected, Outlook sends weird stuff.  Some information and
solutions (including a link to a decoder) can be found at:

http://www.gpc.edu/~jbenson/resource/winmail.htm

--
George

Using TB! 2.01.3 on Windows XP Pro 5.1, Build 2600, Service Pack 1.

 Current beta is 2.01.7 | "Using TBBETA" information: