Hi Peter,

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 21:40:23 +0200 (3:40 PM here), Peter Meyns [PM]
wrote in <mid:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

KC>> Using the recent GPG trial seems to cause some problems with TB.
KC>> When verifying signatures on clear-signed messages, pressing the
KC>> verify button the following message is displayed:

KC>> gpg: conversion from `utf-8' to `CP0' not available

KC>> Anyone have any idea what this message means?

PM> This looks like a problem with the selected character set. Does it
PM> happen with all messages?

Yes, it would occur on every message. Using GPGShell or GPGrelay was
fine. I do not have the International Pack installed for TB and my
(XLAT) character sets are the default that TB installs.

Generally I don't use trial versions for encryption for more than a
few hours and revert back to the last official release (1.2.5).

I do like to see if anything breaks and in this case, apparently The
Bat! does. While today, this is not a problem, my concern is that TB
keeps the pace with GPG development, so no surprises surface when the
next official GPG release comes around. This version of GPG requires
iconv.dll which I do have installed.

PM> BTW, (now this is getting OT) what are the supposed advantages of
PM> 1.3.92?

Yes we're getting a little OT, so this is the end of this thread
unless someone can recommend a setting tweak in TB to fix my error.
Here's a list of the changes in the last few GPG test versions:

Noteworthy changes in version 1.3.90 (2004-10-01)

    * Readline support at all prompts is now available if the systems
      provides a readline library.  The build time option
      --without-readline may be used to disable this feature.

    * Support for the OpenPGP smartcard is now enabled by default.
      Use the option --disable-card-support to build without support
      for smartcards.

    * New command "addcardkey" in the key edit menu to add subkeys to
      a smartcard. New command "keytocard" to transfer a key to a
      smartcard.
      The serial number of the card is show in secret key listings.

    * -K may now be used as an alias for --list-secret-keys.

    * HTTP Basic authentication is now supported for all HKP and HTTP
      keyserver functions, either through a proxy or via direct
      access.

Noteworthy changes in version 1.3.91 (2004-10-15)

    * A new configure option --enable-selinux-support disallows
      processing of confidential files used by gpg (e.g. secring.gpg).
      This helps writing ACLs for the SELinux kernel.

    * Support for fetching keys via finger has been added.  This is
      useful for setting a preferred keyserver URL like
      "finger:wk at g10code.com".

    * Timeout support has been added to the keyserver helpers.  This
      allows users to set an upper limit on how long to wait for the
      keyserver before giving up.

    * New "direct" trust model where users can set key validity
      directly if they do not want to participate in the web of trust.

    * Minor bug fixes, code and string cleanups.

Noteworthy changes in version 1.3.92 (2004-10-28)

    * Added Russian man page. Thanks to Pawel I. Shajdo.

    * libiconv is now used to support other character sets other than
      UTF-8, Latin-1,-2 and KOI8-2.  The W32 version will only work
      correctly when iconv.dll is installed on the system.  A binary
      version is available at all GNU mirror sites under libiconv.

    * gettext for Windows has been simplified.  The MO files are now
      distributed UTF-8 encoded and gpg translates on the fly.

--
Kevin Coates
Dewitt, NY USA

Using TB! v3.0.2.3 Rush under Windows XP 5.1.2600 SP2
(see kludges for my pgp key)

 Current beta is 3.0.2.3 Rush | 'Using TBBETA' information: