Hello Jon,

> I think I understand the reasons why this should be unticked when
> moving to another folder. But to be sure, would you be able to explain
> it to me?

Better than explaining, run this test and I think you will understand
better.

Create 3 new folders: A, B and C.

Now create 3 new filters in this sequence:

Filter A:
    Subject contains A
    Move to folder A
    Set 'Continue processing...' option

Filter B:
    Subject contains B
    Move to folder B
    Set 'Continue processing...' option

Filter C:
    Subject contains AB
    Move to folder C
    Do NOT set 'Continue...'

Now, from other account, send a message with Subject: AB

Although the message meets the criteria of filters A and B, the message
will end up in folder C. Correct?

This is why:

- Right click on folder A and select 'Browse Deleted
Messages' from context menu. Aha! Your message is there, unread and
_deleted_.

- Now right click on folder B and do the same. Your message is also
there, unread and deleted.

- You can also browse deleted messages on Inbox and you will also see
the 'unread but deleted' message there.

Getting the idea? This is so because while there are filters to be
checked, the Sorting Office keeps a 'pointer' to where the message
really is. This way, message is moved from Inbox to folder A by filter
A, then from folder A to B by filter B and finally from folder B to C by
filter C.

Now remove the 'Continue processing...' from filters A and B and repeat
the test message. It will en up in folder A. This is because once the
criteria in a filter is met, and its action take, no further filters
will be checked UNLESS the 'Continue processing...' is set.

Got it?

So, what's the use of 'Continue processing...' and when to use it?

Assume that aside of moving messages to folders as per filters above (or
similar) you want messages from Joe Blow to be assigned to Yellow colour
group. Instead of adding this condition and corresponding action to the
A, B and C filters above, you can create a new Filter CG, which should
be placed above A, as follows:

Filter CG:
    Sender is Joe Blow
    Set colour group to 'Yellow'
    Set 'Continue processing...'

Also, what if you want your message to end up in folder A if the
criteria in filter A is met, but you also want it in folders B and C if
the corresponding filters criteria are met? Then change the actions in
filters A and B from 'Move to folder' to 'COPY to folder' and set the
'Continue processing' on both filter A and B.

Hope it is clear enough.

Miguel A. Urech (El Escorial - Spain)
Using The Bat! v4.0.34.13 on Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 3