Hello Thomas,

> I just find the required duplication very inefficient. I think this is
> a weak point of the otherwise very suprior filtering system, which is
> probably one of the sales drivers.

I have several of your messages in this same thread marked 'for reply'
but I guess I'll just summarise what I want to say in this one.

Correct me if I'm wrong (my memory is not improving with age) but, IIRC
from discussions in the past, you use 'hundreds' of filters, don't you?.
And it is probably because of the huge number of filters that you
actually 'complain' about having to 'duplicate' them, and that's
understandable.

But, it seems to me (again correct me if I'm wrong), that you're
probably using a quite 'basic' approach (i.e. just one filter after the
other), much in the way you can do with OE and other email clients, and
not taking real advantage of (in your own words above) a "very superior
filtering system".

What I mean is that Alexander, for example, had a similar approach to
yours and, as pointed in my <mid:358866294.20090224123...@rancho-k.com>,
he could replace his 300 filters (150 incoming and 150 outgoing) by just
two.

Have you never stopped and said "Wait a minute! There must be a better
way to set up this". What I mean is that when I was active (before
retiring about one year ago) I corresponded with a lot of people from
different countries and companies and, although I had an specific folder
for many of them, the same was not true for filters. I set up folders
trees for countries and then perhaps sub-folders for companies, another
level for departments and maybe another level for specific people.

Then, with a somewhat similar structure, I had several Address Books
with different groups in them and took advantage of this in my filtering
set-up. Also taking advantage of one of the powerful features in TB's
filtering like filters and sub-filters. For example, I have seen people
having a (top level) filter for each person in a company (i.e. with same
domain in email address) when it is much more efficient to have the top
filter just check for the domain (or AB and group, etc.) and, if true,
then check for the different people in sub-filters.

Finally, I don't know (or don't remember) your specific reason(s) to
have so many filters in your set-up and why as you say somewhere in the
thread, you always use 'Headers' in the filter conditions. I will not
say that you can reduce your number of filters to just two, but I am
quite sure there must be a way of setting up a more comprehensive, more
efficient and easier to maintain structure of folders and filters.
Correct me if I am wrong :)

Miguel A. Urech (El Escorial - Spain)
Using The Bat! v4.1.11.5 on Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 3