Hallo mse,

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 14:57:56 +0200GMT (16-6-2009, 14:57 +0200, where
I live), you wrote:

M> is anyone experiencing problems with built-in picture viewer?

No problems, no.

M> My settings: Attachments are shown in a column, not minimized as a
M> symbol in message header preview. When I double-click on a
M> picture-attachment the built-in picture viewer opens and CPU-usage
M> increases dramatically from less than 5 to over 50 percent.
M> The amount of CPU consumption seems to correlate with the file size.
M> My system: XP SP3, Centrino Duo 2 x 2,4 GHz, 1 GB RAM

Over here the PC has a slightly different config.
But  depending  on  the settings of the viewer I'm getting this with a
1.47MB picture of 4288x2848 pixels:
200% viewer: CPU usage from 0% via a short 15% peak to a steady 1%
150% viewer: the same
1:1  viewer: CPU usage from 0% via a short 15% peak to a steady 0%
50%  viewer: CPU usage from 0% via a short 22% peak to a steady 8%
20%  viewer: CPU usage from 0% via a short 21% peak to a steady 13%
10%  viewer: CPU usage from 0% via a short 25% peak to a steady 11%
Fit image  : CPU usage from 0% via a short 25% peak to a steady 15%
Fit heigth, fit width: the same

As my default setting is to view pictures 1:1 I didn't encounter any
problems, most attached pictures I get are of a size that makes 1:1 a
good choice for me.

--
Groetjes, Roelof

In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular.
http://www.voormijalleen.nl/
The Bat! 4.2.6
Windows Vista 6.0 Build 6001 Service Pack 1
6 pop3 accounts, 1 imap account
OTFE enabled
Quad Core 2.4GHz
4 GB RAM