Hi Thomas,

Your message from Montag, 04. Oktober 1999:

> Hallo Werner,

> [snip]

> I'm leaving the above two lines in to make my point.

WA>> Look at the above Text. This is really confusing. None is able to
WA>> decide, *who* said *what*.

> In the beginning of this thread, you had your reply template set on
> "initials". And it was very easy to see who said what, that's the
> reason for the initials.

> Later you changed to "greater than only" (which is the standard in a
> lot of other mail programmes) and that's why it is difficult to see
> who said what. And that's why I like The Bat!.

>>> I cannot come up with another idea, though.

WA>> The same quoting mark at the beginning of *each* quoted line.
WA>> *Nothing* else is correct.
WA>> Below i can show, what happens:

|Inserting a ">>>>>>" *into* a quoted line changes the original text
WA>>               ^
WA>>                   ^^ These characters should be below |">>|
WA>> By adding a different number of characters *somewhere* into the quoted
text (">>>" *into* the first line, "WA> " to the beginning of the second
WA>> line the sense of the quoted text really becomes ruined.

> OK, you found a situation where it gets in the way. You can still trun
> it off, though. ;-)

Only mannually, if i see it.

WA>> This behavior makes "The Bat" unusable for serious applications
WA>> (science, business ....).

> I don't know about science, I guess it depends on whether you use a
> lot of "greater than" in your emails. If so, you will turn the feature
> "initials" off.

This doesn't help. "The Bat" places the ">" into the middle of a line.
If if happens only when the "Initials Feature" is turned on, then
nothing to mention, but "The Bat" makes it also, when this feature is
turned off.

> In business, I use it with initials every day and love
> it. So do my agents and overseas offices, when they see their initials
> before the mails they's written; especially since third and fourth
> parties are often copied in and reply. If everybody used TB! (wouldn't
> that be a nice world <g>), everybody would know who wrote what. Yes,
> especially in business it is indeed *very* useful.

I agree. But if this feature is turned off, then ">" should be placed
at the *beginning* of a quoted line.

--
Regards,
Werner Arts                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]