Hi Marck,

MDP> Well,  I  have  near  37000 messages spread over 160+ folders and have
MDP> only  ever  had  problems  like those you describe when I have "messed
MDP> about"  with the folder structure in both TB and Windows Explorer in a
MDP> less than clearly thought out manner (ahem) :-).

You are ten times as bad as I am!   In this instance, however, I have
not been fooling around.  I did a clean install of Win98SE. Office
2000 and most of my other regular programs on the 25th of October, and
have for all practical purposes had a stable system with the exception
of the "bad" folders that had to be "fixed"

MDP> I  have no suggestions as to why you would be experiencing the need to
MDP> repair  folders  on  a regular basis, although it's not entirely clear
MDP> what you mean by "repair".

I guess that the term is having a "broken message base file" that can
be repaired by running the message base doctor?

MH>> It is not too difficult to repair, but it is a pain in you know
MH>> where, and if it really is a built-in weakness (feature?), why not
MH>> make the reinexing much easier?

MDP> It  may be more useful, in the short term, to establish why you are in
MDP> the  position  of  having  to repair and re-index folders on a regular
MDP> basis.   Also,   I  believe  that  the  current  version  of  TB  will
MDP> automatically  re-index  a  folder  if  the index file is not present.
MDP> There  is  no  interface  to  remove  a  current index to allow such a
MDP> rebuild to occur, so perhaps your suggestion is a good one.

I don't understand it either, but since no other program misbehaves
and I have not been changing folder structures or other things, I
assumed (yes, I know what that means <BG>) that it was a Bat! problem.

Question: how would I re-index a folder that shows 0 messages?

I know that Pegasus (buh..) has the ability to re-index from within the
program, and I think that Mr.Kiselev previously has suggested that it
would be nice if the Bat had a similar facility.

MDP> OTOH,  would folder purge / compress not result in a re-index? Or does
MDP> TB use the current index to determine where to purge /compress?

It sounds right to me, be mayby there is a difference between
re-indexing and re-building an index, and what we/I really have been
talking about is "re-building."

Kind regards / Venlig hilsen,
 Mogens                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]